Wednesday, May 8, 2013

On the day you were born

September 18,  2012
Just hours before the eviction.
We were urged to induce labor with Annie because she was clearly outgrowing her dwelling.  We arrived at the hospital at 6:00am.  I was put in a room to wait for an available labor and delivery room. Little did we know that this was a very popular birthday and we would still be waiting at lunchtime.  I was given a lovely lunch of jello and broth.  Really? Once we finally were assigned to a room, things got going pretty quickly.  My labor went from "tolerable" to "random doctors would poke their heads in because it looked like I was going to slide off of the bed because of the pain" in a matter of moments.  For some reason the nurse believed that they were going to charge HER for my epidural and she wanted to wait until the last possible moment to have it administered.  That is exactly what she did.  And as the nurse anesthetist was trying to adjust everything Annie decided that it was show time.  Needless to say, he high-tailed it out of there! I was 10 cm and baby girl was in a hurry. Our midwife, Jualea Early was summoned and things really got exciting.  
Because Annie was on the hefty healthy side, she got stuck.  It gets easier to think about it now but it was a very serious situation in the moment.  Before I went to the hospital were warned that the only thing we had to worry about with a baby this size was shoulder dystocia. It rarely happens they said.  They just had to let us know to cover their butts bases.  No problem. Well, during the delivery that is exactly what happened.  We went from a room with a mama, daddy, nurse and midwife to all of these plus 4 more nurses and 2 doctors.  I was upside down when Coy was pushed out of the way.  One nurse was under me and another was on top of me.  After two agonizing minutes, unable to breathe, she was pulled free.  She had to be encouraged to breathe once her cord was cut. But in the end she was fine.  And beautiful.  At 9 lbs, 12.5 oz she was perfectly pudgy.  She had perfect skin and a head full of hair! Oh yeah, and piercing blue eyes! Stunning!  Instant love.
 
 
Annie Rose Allen
Named for her Great Grandmother Annie Pearl Allen
and her grandmother, Margaret Rose Paschal, and her great great grandmother, Rosa Lonon Hennessee.
 
 So proud to be a big sister.  I absolutely love this picture.
 
 
 
 
 Precious April Washington was Cora's stand in mom while I was in labor.  Cora got to spend the entire day with her BFF Ava.  I would be willing to bet that the birth of her sister was the second most wonderful thing that happened that day.
 
 Auntie Mist had to get some Annie time in.
 First family of four picture.  At least I don't look tired... Ha!
 Emily with Annie.  She has to be the sweetest person I know.  This picture was taken when I was exhausted, uncomfortable, swollen like crazy and generally cranky.  I looked over at Emily and saw tears rolling down her cheeks.  And no one was surprised.  She was so in love with this little one that she had known only minutes.  That is why I love this lady so much. It is impossible to explain.
 

3 comments:

Emily Myers said...

Oh my sweet Annie girl- I loved you the minute I knew you existed, just like your sister. Amanda Allen- this should be no surprise to you but I cried uncontrollably as I read this post. Such sweet girls- ALL of you- don't know what I'd do without you!

Graffs On The Go said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Graffs On The Go said...

Congratulations! Annie is beautiful! I loved the family picture too! I hope you are all well!

I wrote a post a second ago, but forgot to proof read.